Monday, October 03, 2005

Reading with Andrea Selch


Sorry for the infrequent posting, but I've been involved in other projects - like the reading last Friday at the Black Mountain College Museum + Art Center by Jonathan Williams and Tom Meyer. There'll be a report and some photos of that event up soon at Eden Hall.

In the meantime, though, I'm looking forward to another reading: I'll be joining Andrea Selch for a reading this Saturday the 8th at Malaprops. Andrea hails from Hillsborough and teaches
creative writing at Duke University. She has published poetry in such journals as Oyster Boy Review, The Greensboro Review, Calyx and Equinox, among others. Her work has also been performed on NPR. She's published Succory from Carolina Wren Press and has another book, Startling , out from Wordtech Communications. One of her poems at Oyster Boy Review is here. While I've not yet met Andrea, I'm looking forward to it, given the focus of her work.



My participation in the reading came about by a bit of sheer serendipity. Lee Ann Brown had been scheduled to read with Andrea, but had to cancel to fulfill a personal commitment. She suggested that I fill in - and, after I'd considered it, I decided I'd take her up on the offer. The occasion even inspired me to finish putting together a chapbook of my own work, which I'll have at the reading. Titled Transits of Venus, it collects some of the poems grounded in relationships that I've written from the 1970s to this year.

There's a wine and cheese reception at 6:15, and Andrea and I will read at 7:00 PM. Hope to see you (this is one of those situations where our colloquial "you all" would be just fine) there.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home