Thursday, December 04, 2008

Birthdays: Rainer Maria Rilke





















Rilke was born this date in 1875, in Prague, and so joins William Blake, Mark Twain, and Walt Disney in the astrological company of Sagittarians. Here's his solar chart, cast with the Sun on the cusp of the first house, as charts are traditionally cast when the birthtime is not known. Notice that red square? And the red lines connecting the corners? Those are some challenging aspects. They didn't prevent him, of course, from becoming one of the most deeply imaginative poets of the twentieth century - proving once again, I suppose, that it's not just the chart, but what one does with it, that's decisive for the outcome of all our undertakings.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Hey, Jeff, I missed this one! Rilke is a Sag? He's my main man. Our birthdays aren't that far apart. About 9 days. I began reading him when I was a mere child, or so it seems now that I'm una vieja, as a sophomore in college. He stays with me. I especially love his Herbst poems, maybe because I was born in late Nov. K.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home