Tuesday, October 25, 2005

"Interesting Times"

One of the quotes in Jonathan Williams In the Azure Over the Squalor, which I've discussed over at Eden Hall, is the now familiar "May you always live in interesting times", described there, as it usually is, as "An Ancient Chinese Curse" . Turns out it's not Chinese, and probably not ancient. More here.

Turns out its earliest known use appears to have occurred in a 1950 science fiction story by Eric Frank Russell. Does, or did, Jonathan read science fiction? I don't know; he does read mysteries, but ... Perhaps an email to the author is in order.

A friend writes to thank me for not doing a political blog. You're welcome! Not that I'm not deeply interested in discussion in and of the public forum, but I decided before I cranked this thing up that I'd leave political blogging as such to others. Political Animal Kevin Drum, who posted the article on "interesting times", the kids at Kos, Atrios, Joshua Michael Marshall at Talking Points Memo, and Shakespeare's Sister, just to name blogs that I read every day, do a great job. Lately, as we approach the conclusion of the Fitzgerald investigation into the Bush administration's campaign against Joseph Wilson (and, of course, its coverup), I've enjoyed firedoglake, written by Jane Hamsher; she's experienced as a prosecutor and has had unique insights into what's been trickling out about the investigation. Your mileage may vary, of course, but if you're of a progressive frame of mind, check them out, if you haven't already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home